Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

FDFAIW - Figure in Motion from the Imagination - Sketch #1


I stopped working on the art for a graphic novel about a year ago because I was too intimidated to draw people. I had no idea how to get them into a sketch with buildings, etc. So I picked up Loomis's Figure Drawing for All It's Worth and ran into another bump when, in the first pages, he discussed dividing the figure into eight equal parts (the male figure--the female is about 7 1/2). I think the parts were the size of a human head.

But after a while, I read a little more and saw that he didn't really like that method. I can see why. It's tedious and cumbersome. And, as he points out, the bodies look dumpy.

Now I'm past that in a much more dynamic area of the book. He sketched out a bunch of male figures in motion and recommended the reader draw them. Yesterday I posted the first one I drew. He also recommended drawing figures from the imagination.

This is my first sketch. Definitely too long arms and the torso is pretty small.

Still, it's not a stick figure. I think what I like about this is that a) it's from my imagination--not a small deal, considering the kinds of art I'm interested in creating, and b) it feels a little... brave. And bravery is something we will all need in the coming year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment